More Verizon 4G LTE coming to Connecticut on May 19th
Verizon is rolling out more of it’s 4G coverage and making many people along the east coast happy, especially folks in Connecticut. They confirmed today via press release that as of May 19th they will be turning on full 4G through out Fairfield and New Haven counties in Connecticut.
Now we’ve noticed that 4G has been running in Connecticut for a little over a month now, and some users as far north as Hartford have been reporting service, but there are certainly dead zones and spotty reception areas where you have to manually switch back to 3G. Hopefully with this “official” roll out those areas will be covered and we won’t have to switch back and forth anymore.
Full Press Release:
4G Smartphones, Modems And Hotspots Arrive May 19 On The Verizon Wireless LTE Network In Connecticut’s Fairfield And New Haven Counties
Nutmeg State to Get Nation’s Fastest and Most Advanced Mobile Network
NEW HAVEN, CT — Starting Thursday, Verizon Wireless customers in over 30 Connecticut communities across Fairfield and New Haven Counties will be able to surf the web, download files and share music and photos up to 10 times faster than before with Verizon Wireless’ 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) network. Verizon Wireless’ first large-scale 4G LTE deployment in Connecticut will launch May 19 and will be available to customers in the following cities and towns:
- New Canaan
- North Stamford
New Haven County
- Beacon Falls
- New Haven
- West Haven
In addition, Verizon Wireless has already activated 4G LTE coverage inside Bradley International Airport to serve the travelling public. Customers in the above Connecticut communities are among the first to have access to the nation’s fastest 4G mobile technology; by the end of 2011, they will be joined by customers in Hartford, CT, Springfield and Worcester, MA, as announced earlier this year.
“We are proud to help Connecticut residents, small businesses and local government connect faster and more fully with the introduction of our 4G LTE network,” said Christine Berberich, New England Region President for Verizon Wireless. “Our 4G LTE network is revolutionizing the way people communicate, and we know this connectivity will be a key technology enabler for many years to come.”
Smartphones, Hotspots and Laptop Modems
Residents of Fairfield and New Haven Counties can choose from an array of devices that have already launched to access the blazingly fast speeds of the 4G LTE network, including:
- Just introduced on Saturday, the DROID Charge by Samsung features a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED™ Plus display, a rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for both stills and video chatting, Android 2.2 platform, 1 GHz application processor, HTML 5 Web browser and Mobile Hotspot capability that lets customers share the 4G LTE connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices or the 3G connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices. Available for $299.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- ThunderBolt™ by HTC smartphone is powered by Android™ 2.2 and has an 8-megapixel rear facing camera and HD (720p) video recording, 1.3-megapixel front facing camera with video chatting capabilities, newest generation of the 1GHz Snapdragon processor and Mobile Hotspot capability that lets customers share the 4G LTE connection with up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices. Available for $249.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi® 4510L and the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH-LC11 let customers share the 4G LTE internet connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices at the same time. Each is available for $99.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- Verizon Wireless 4G LTE USB Modem 551L comes equipped with a fold-out USB connector, a four color LED Service Status Indicator and an internal antenna. Available for $99.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- The LG VL600 4G LTE modem comes equipped with a fixed USB connector, an LED Service Status Indicator and an internal antenna. Available for $99.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- Pantech’s UML290 USB modem comes equipped with a fold-away, 180 degree rotating USB connector, an LED Service Status Indicator and a internal antenna. Available for $49.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
In real-world, fully-loaded network environments, 4G LTE users should experience average data rates of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) on the downlink and 2 to 5 Mbps on the uplink, so customers can enjoy the fast speeds of the world’s first large-scale 4G LTE network. Verizon Wireless began introducing the globe’s first large-scale LTE network on December 5, 2010, covering more than 110 million Americans, and is quickly expanding national coverage to a total of 55 metropolitan areas as of May 19, 2011. The company is rapidly building out its 4G LTE network, and is on course to deliver 4G LTE to its entire 3G wireless footprint by the end of 2013. In addition, the company is working with rural communications companies to collaboratively build and operate a 4G network in those areas using the tower and backhaul assets of the rural company and Verizon Wireless’ core 4G LTE equipment and premium 700 MHz spectrum.
When customers travel outside of a 4G coverage area, the devices automatically connect to Verizon Wireless’ 3G network, enabling customers to stay connected from coast to coast. Verizon Wireless’ 3G network is the most reliable network in the country, allowing customers with laptops and smartphones to download and use cool apps, from mobile social networking platforms to GPS-enabled maps, rapidly browse the web to keep up with news, sports, stock quotes, Hollywood gossip and more, work on-the-go with fast file sharing and stream must-see video and customized radio stations.
4G LTE Data Plans, Promotions
With the DROID Charge by Samsung and the ThunderBolt by HTC, customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a 4G LTE data package. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access and an Unlimited 4G LTE data plan is $29.99 monthly access.
4G LTE Mobile Broadband plans for the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi® 4510, Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH-LC11, Verizon Wireless 4G LTE USB Modem 551L, LG VL600 4G LTE modem and Pantech UML290 USB modem begin at $50 monthly access for 5 GB of data. Data consumption can be tracked by logging on to My Verizon online at www.verizonwireless.com/myverizon.
Visit www.verizonwireless.com/lte for more information about Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visitwww.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library atwww.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.